Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Diagnosis

After 24 hours of pain in my hand, I finally determined to try to figure out the international world of medical aid. So Saturday my roommate Sara and I left around 1:00Pm to go to a nearby clinic (We didn't go before 1:00 because I thought groceries in the fridge were more important than going to the doctor. Food comes first you know.)

On the way to the clinic there was a horrible flapping sound coming from the rear of the car. We pulled over and low and behold...we have a VERY flat tire (Thank God this didnt happen on the dirve to Cape Town!). I know how to change a tire (thanks Dad!). But the jack was a replacement jack, not the original....so I couldn't quite figure out where to put it. And Sara had never changed a tire before so she wasn't sure. And since one of my hands is out of commission....Sara would have done most of the work. Instead of mess up the whole process, we decided to phone a friend. Corey, a worker from the Door of Hope, came and changed our tire for us. And so finally, after 40 minutes and several scares with creepy people offering to help, we headed toward the clinic (Don't worry, we were locked in the car until Corey arrived. We are smart girls!) We arrive at the clinic at 2:10.....unfortunately they close at 2:00. Drats!

So I waited until Sunday (making sure to check their hours of operation so I wouldn't miss the doctors this time). But after a night of very little sleep because of the pain in my hand (not to mention a 10 minute fight to get the door unlocked) instead of getting there when they open at 8:00AM, I didn't arrive until closer to 9:00AM. After an interesting time filling in the paper work (its kind of hard to write when your ring finger wont bend and get out of the way!)...I FINALLY got to see a doctor.

The diagnosis.....I have cellulitis in my finger. The doctor thinks the infection was probably started by a spider bite of some sort. This is the third time in 2 years Ive had cellulitis. I feel like a walking germ factory! But I now have 4 prescription medications. One strong oral antibiotic, one probiotic, one tube of antibiotic cream, and one bottle of pain medicine. And they say that Americans prescribe too many drugs! Hahaha

So this is the story of my finger. I promise to tell about my trip to Cape Town in the next post. Trust me, Cape Town is far more interesting than my finger!

No comments: