Friday, June 1, 2007

My Heritage

As I embark on this journey to South Africa, I am well aware of the heritage that has gotten me to this point. God has placed many people in my life to encourage me and guide me along the way. Here is a poem I was inspired to write about the wonderful godly heritage of faith that I have.



Heritage

I have a heritage of faith that is so very deep.

The love and joy its given me, I will always keep.

My parents raised me in the church. They taught me how to pray.
Mom read me stories from the Bible that I remember to this day.
She also taught VBS and sang in the church choir.
Dad was a deacon and he lit the missions fire.


My daddy was the one who went so far away.
He went to Africa to build and teach and pray.
When he came back, I saw a change I couldnt understand.
Now I know, and I cant wait to tread that distant land.



My grandma lead the G.A.s and taught many how to give.
She has always been a model of how I want to live.
She knows her gifts and uses them to serve the Lord each day.
She loves and cares for children in a special Godly way.



My grandpa, with his quiet ways, taught me so much too-
He had a gentle, humble spirit and a loving attitude.
My Aunts and Uncles taught me too, in many different ways.
The prayed and laughed and loved and gave in ways I cant repay.



My siblings and my cousins shared this walk with me.
They saw the love of God passed through our family tree.
Through choir rehearsals, missions trips and fun vacations too--
Family troubles and family joys were shared through and through.



But I dare not forget my friends, for they are family too.
They often saw what God wanted before I even knew.
They prayed and laughed and cried with me over big and little things.
They too are all God's princesses--Daughters of the King.



My church family has raised me up. My foundation feels so strong.
They have encouraged me and prayed for me for ever so very long.
I want to share my heritage with others in the world.
With little African boys and precious African girls.



I want them all to know how blessed they truly are,
and that they are being prayed for by people way off far.
For God has built a strong support to surround me as I go.
His loving careful preparation I want them all to know.



My heritage of faith is better than a family tree.
Its not just names and dates, its relationships you see.
Relationships with people who have always prayed for me.
Their love and hope and endless faith I can always see.


I thank my family, friends and church for all the things that you do.

But most of all, I thank my God for giving me the gift of you.

No comments: