Friday, July 20, 2007

Frustration

Have I mentioned that nothing works smoothly in South Africa? The most recent inconvenience was the freezing of my checking account! Only the bank didnt bother to contact me or explain this problem. Good thing I WASNT in the check-out line with a cart full of groceries and a line of people waiting on me when I accidentally found this out! Apparently, there is a form that has to be filled out VERY specifically to prove to the bank that I am employed and will be receiving money. The problem with this is that I work for a non-profit organization as a volunteer. Technically, any money I make is a "reimburment" for expenses. And technically, the Daycare and church here in South Africa arent the ones reimbursing me. So to be honest and legal on the forms, I have to say I am a volunteer. And they wont accept that because I dont have proof of income. The Va Baptist Board cant write saying I will receive money monthly, because the bank wants me to be sponsored (paid) by a LOCAL company/organization in order to have an account.

The frustrating part is that I have been round and round with the bank. We re-wrote the form 3 times to make it legal, honest and meeting their criteria...and then this unknown account freeze! And my roommate, who is with the SAME bank and had the SAME forms to fill out, did not have any of these problems.

On the positive side of things, I still have access to SOME money. My roommate has loaned me some money to get through the weekend until we can get this all sorted out. And I also have access to my money in my accounts back home. Thank God for providing alternatives before I knew that I needed them! And thank God I am not completely cut off from necessary money. That would be a scary thought indeed. So score one for God, master of planning ahead! Satan has only managed to inconvenience me this time.

No comments: