Friday, April 18, 2008

Children Singing

There is this wonderful, magical, God-given pleasure I get when I hear children singing praise songs. I firmly believe that God gave us music just so we could enjoy the process of praising Him a little more. And I also believe that children crave music, rhythm and songs. Add the two together and you get this beautiful world where singing doesn’t have to be good or planned. The verse doesn’t have to be finished. There is no need for an audience. A child singing to God is pure worship. They don’t have to pray to be ready to worship. They don’t have to have a full band playing to make the music good. They don’t need good lighting and a powerful message. And they don’t need to be alone in their cars to sing at the top of their lungs. When children feel the need to sing praise songs, they sing. And I LOVE it. I love to hear them sing when they don’t know I’m listening. I love to hear them sing when they are in front of church. I love to hear them sing along with me when I’m trying to teach a new song (...and they don’t know the song yet, but still sing along and mess it up, and somehow it sounds even better because of their impulsive need to just SING to GOD!) And I especially love to hear them sing when they invite me to listen or join in.

Children inherently know that there is power in music. Songs just get stuck in your head. How many times have you found yourself humming a tune? Have you ever just NEEDED to listen to a certain song? I often wake up with a song already running through my mind.

Now think about the music that runs through your mind, and more importantly, the music that runs through your child's mind. What types of things do you want them to dwell on? What types of things do you want to pop into their heads at the most unexpected places and times? Christian music comes in ALL flavors these days. Explore! I thank God that there are options for every musical taste out there.

Try to learn a lesson from these wonderful children and allow your praise of God to come naturally, all day, without thought or effort. Listen to good praise songs until they are popping into your head at the strangest times. And dare to sing in the car, sing in the shower, sing when no one is watching, sing when you are happy or sad.....just sing to God and let your heart dwell on Him throughout the day. Dwell upon the Lord and He will dwell in you.

No comments: