Monday, April 28, 2008

Small Miracles

Sometimes the little things are the best! Here are 2 stories that touched my heart this past week. I’m so glad God lets me be a part of these small things.

Story One: My cousin is a 3rd Grade teacher in VA. Her class wanted to write letters to the children here in South Africa. Along with letters, they also sent really great books...One book for each child. We have a set of twins here at the Day Care (Andiswa and Andile). Their Mom is a sweet woman who can not read a thing! She can’t even write her own name. She is determined to make sure her daughters get a better education than she had. When I gave her and her daughters the letters from the kids in America, she asked me to read them to her kids for her. Then I picked some super easy books for her daughters. I read them and showed her older daughter how easy it was so she could read them to the 2 younger ones when they got home. The books said things like "I am yellow, I am red, etc."

The next day Nhlanhla (the mom) came to me and said "I read those books to my daughters last night. I could remember the words!" Wow! A Mom who couldn’t read was able to read 2 books to her daughters! What a miracle! This is an experience she would not have been able to share with her kids if those books hadn’t been sent. All I did was hand out books and read them. But through that I got to see a small miracle happen!


Story Two: On Saturday night a bunch of volunteers were all going to go bowling together. We all met at the Door of Hope before leaving. We were going to take one of the babies with us because he had been having some breathing trouble during the day. As we were waiting to go, someone made the comment "His color isn’t looking so good." It was chilly and he was wrapped in a couple of blankets and I was nervous, so I said "If it was me, I would unwrap him and WATCH him breathe just so I wouldn’t feel so nervous." So that’s what we did. And sure enough, he had stopped breathing. So 2 of the volunteers instantly started CPR and hopped in the car and rushed him to the hospital.

Now I KNOW that these ladies are good at what they do. And I KNOW they would have caught the fact that he wasn’t breathing just as quickly with or without my comment. But I got to be a small part of catching this problem and praying for this baby as he headed for the hospital. What a blessing to get to be part of such a miracle.
(The baby is in the hospital now. He has stabilized and is receiving great care.)

No comments: