Sunday, August 12, 2007

4 Day Weekend

This week was a short one. I worked Monday through Wednesday, but had off the rest of the week. South Africa was celebrating Women's Day, so the Day Care closed in honor of that holiday. I thought that a 4 day weekend was the perfect time to finish the last Harry Potter book. It was kind of sad to see the series come to a close.

I was also glad for the few days off because I have been battling a cold. It seems like half the children in the Day Care have been ill. And all of the teachers seem to have gotten the germs that are going around (there is no policy to keep the children at home when they are sick, so germs spread quickly). I knew it was just a matter of time before I came down with something.

I am very thankful that my fellow missionary, Carol, had some cold medicine she brought with her from the states. We have not been able to find a decongestant here in S.A. Her medicine got me through the 2 toughest days. Unfortunately, Carol is now sick, and I have used all her medicine! So pray that we can find a suitable replacement soon!

Other than colds, everything is going well here. The weather warmed up into the high 60s today. I hope we get a few more days like this!

Prayer request: Please pray for the Sunday School program here at Troyeville Baptist Church. There are too many children and too few workers. Today we had over 30 children in the Young Children's class alone. In this class there were kids from 2 to 10! We need to find a way to split the class into smaller groups. (And there are 2 other classes with the same problem.) We lack materials, space and workers. It is great to see these children come to church, often on their own. God has given us an enormous mission field....and it walks in the doors every Sunday! But we are ill equipped to meet the needs with the resources we have. Pray that God will make it clear how to work with these children and help them to learn of God's love and mercy.

No comments: