Saturday, August 18, 2007

Teaching

I had a great week! A few of the teachers were out this week with various illnesses. Because teachers were scarce, I got to step in and be the teacher of the Elephant class (4 and 5 year olds). I spent the whole week with them. I got to try out the curriculum I have been developing. It definitely needs a few adjustments, but the children seemed to like the activities and stories.

This week, we were learning about healthy foods. I told the story of Daniel and his friends refusing the bad food in Babylon and asking for healthy fruits and vegetables (Daniel 1). We painted, played with playdoh, drew pictures....and I felt like I was in my element! One of the teacher assistants looked at me as if I were crazy a few times.....getting the playdoh and paint cleaned up was a bit of trouble. But I hope she found out that the trouble was worth it.....the kids were answering questions and initiating conversation! (You have no idea how rare this is!)

The other teachers seemed to be using some of the ideas too. And I was super-pleased to see them adapt a few of the ideas and make them suit their classes. They are really taking a positive approach to change. Praise God! Please continue to pray as I work on this curriculum. I am in a bit over my head, but God seems to be making it work. I felt so confidant being the 'teacher' in the class. I can deal with kids and pull out tricks to get them to learn.....but I am still struggling with how to lead these teachers. But I cant teach all 60 kids by myself....so pray that I find more ways to show these teachers how to help these kids. Leading adults is not easy for me, but I know God can make all our weak efforts into great things.

No comments: