Saturday, November 24, 2007

Turkey Day

As you know, Thursday was America's Thanksgiving. South Africa does not have a Thanksgiving celebration, but my roommates and I HAD to celebrate. We invited 3 other Americans to join us Thursday night for a traditional Thanksgiving feast.

My roommate Carol and I cooked the turkey together. It was our first attempt at turkey cooking and I think it turned out well!! We cooked it in a roasting bag and cheated with a pop up timer. The turkey was moist and done early enough to get all of the other food cooked. Carol made WONDERFUL gravy. We also had sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, stuffing and a fruit salad. I baked a chocolate cake for dessert.

The 6 of us had a great time talking and celebrating! Thanks to all of the people that emailed us recipes/ provided recipes via the BGBC cookbook that helped us with our first attempt at cooking a Thanksgiving Feast!

Despite all of the wonderful food and company, the best part of the day was the chance to call home!! It was so good to hear the voices of friends and family. All in all, it was a great day! I'll try to get some pictures posted soon.

No comments: