Saturday, November 3, 2007

Typical Day

I was trying to think about my typical day so I could share with you the things I usually do. But my typical day is not ever typical. Changes are frequent and being flexible is necessary. So here is what happened the past few days just to give you an idea of what I do.

Wednesday-- I went to work in the morning. I spent part of the morning practicing the Graduation programme with the children (Im the narrator). After practice, I spent some time writing curriculum and planning for the teacher training that is coming in early December. In the late afternoon I spent some time with the children during their free play. And finally went home. On the way home it was raining, so traffic was awful. Wednesday night my roommate Sara (who works for The Door Of Hope) went to fetch a new baby that was dropped at the baby bin. While she was gone I baked a cake and enjoyed a little quiet time. (Can I just say that I am SOO glad that I brought the church cook book with me.....my roommates said to thank Jane Madison for her wonderul Salisbury Steak recipe!)

Thursday-- On Thursday I spent some time in the morning planning for the team that was going to arrive. I went to the Day Care and spent some time with the kids while they were in Play Centers. I tried to model good child-teacher interactions....this is an uphill battle! I left from church and went to the mall to wait for my roommate Carol. We headed to the airport to pick up the team.

Friday-- Carol and I rode to a church up in the Northern area of the city to pick up some donations to our Day Care. After riding around in a cirlce for a while (we took a short cut that wasnt too short)....we finally got there...got the stuff and then went to pick up the team. We stopped for lunch and then we took the team and the stuff to the church. We gave the ladies the grand tour (they got mobbed by the kids of course) and finally got home around 5:00. Friday night is our roommate date night, but we were all too tired. So we went to a restaurant nearby called Yanky's. After a quick calzone we headed home and crashed in front of the TV.

Saturday-- Today I went to pick up the team and took them to an African Market. After 3 hours of shopping, we stopped for lunch at McDonald's and then went to church for the monthly ladies meeting. We had a program on AIDS and some lovely conversation. And now Im at home blogging.

So, as you can see, I have no typical day. I fill in when there are emergencies at the Day Care. I write lessons. I pick up teams. I run errands. I model things for the teachers. I hang out with my roommates and spend a lot of time at church. Some days are crazy busy...others are slow and drag by. Im used to very structured predictable days, so this changing schedule is a new experience for me. Life is definitely not boring!

No comments: