Thursday, December 20, 2007

Frustrating Day with a Surprise Ending

Today was a lesson in frustration. I finally have my tire fixed, so I left around 11AM to go shopping. I needed to shop for Christmas, for my upcoming vacation and for the Day Care. My list was quite long. The first frustration came when I was looking for clothes. The sizes are different than US sizes...once the size difference was figured out in one store, I realized the next store's sizes were not the same. The difference between sizes from one store to another was huge! And when I finally found what I wanted, they didn’t have ANY size that would fit me!

The second frustration came from the lack of educational toys. Apparently, all of the things I have seen in the past few months that I wanted to buy for the Day Care are not big sellers for Christmas. They have all disappeared! I saw some Fisher Prices Little People sets that I want in a store. This store is usually MORE expensive, so I didn’t purchase them. The next 2 stores (Which are usually LESS expensive) had the same thing at a higher price. *sigh* Shopping is so difficult.

There were also frustrations of having NO parking, lots of people to dodge, and long lines at all of the food places at 2PM when I wanted lunch. What mall has long lunch lines at 2PM?!? And who would have thought that there are NO Christmas Stockings available on December 20th! I’m almost sure that there are no Christmas Stockings available in all of South Africa. hahaha I guess decorations aren’t a priority this late in the season.

But the biggest frustration is definitely the fact that I STILL haven’t figured out where to find things. As I was checking off items on my list, I had to try several different stores to find what I was looking for. Sometimes, things just don’t make sense here. The sugar is not always on the same aisle as the flour in the grocery store. The milk and butter are not near each other. I just kept thinking "I could find it at Wal-Mart!"

After a lot of frustration, I realized it was my night to cook. I went to the grocery store and got all of my ingredients....then I went to get some chicken and there wasn’t any! How can there be no chicken in the whole grocery store? I went to ANOTHER grocery store, got the chicken and (finally!) at 5:30PM got back to my apartment.

And surprises, surprise, waiting for me on the kitchen table were 4 packages!!! Wow, what a great end to a frustrating day! Thanks Grandma, Aunt Dianne, Aunt Sue-ee, Paige and Dad for sending packages! Thanks God for bringing them just when I needed them.

No comments: