Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nail

About a week ago, I was stopped at a stop light (robot), when the man behind me started beeping his horn (hooting) and gesturing. I didn’t know what he was beeping about. The light was red so surely he didn’t expect me to go anywhere. When the light turned green, I turned…and he followed me. At the next light he was beside me and gesturing for me to roll down my window….he didn’t seem angry, so I cracked the window. (I was curious!) He told me that my rear, right tire looked a little low. He told me to get it checked at a garage. I thought “Wow, there are nice guys here in South Africa too!”

But being the girl I am, I forgot to get it checked on the drive to my apartment. Two days later I noticed the tire was really low. So I went to the gas station to have them put some air in it. As the guy was putting air in my tire, he noticed a small nail. The nail was causing a slow leak. But did I stop right then and there and put the spare on? NOOOO. I drove to church so I wouldn’t be late. And then forgot about the tire again and drove home. It wasn’t until today that I woke up and finally remembered. There is still some air in the tire, and I have no where to go today. So I’m going to see if I can’t find how to get this fixed. My first instinct was to call my Dad or a friend of mine that knows a lot about tires....then I realized there wasn’t much advice they could give about getting your tire fixed in South Africa. It’s strange how a nail in my tire can make me home sick.

No comments: