Monday, September 17, 2007

Art and Toys

This past week, we had the privilege of having an 'artist in residence'. Kelly came from VA to help at the Day Care. She did some art with the children....they LOVED her to pieces. She is the playdoh queen! But she also spent a lot of her time creating a mural for our playground. Kelly stayed at the apartment with Carol and I, and we all had a lot of fun talking, hanging out and getting to know each other. Its sad to get to know her and then watch her go. But I realized that if I hadn't come here to South Africa, I probably wouldnt met her at all.



Kelly left a little bit of the mural unfinished (a section of the wall that is unseen and to the right of this picture). There is a youth in the church who has some art skills....and Kelly thought this would be a way to get this youth involved in a service project. I think its a great idea!


I also got to spend ALL DAY Thursday sorting and organizing toys. I feel much better knowing what we do and dont have. Although the sorting process wasnt super organized, and the rooms dont have centers set up like I want, I have a starting point finally. Until now, I didnt know what was hidden in corners and cubby holes. I didnt know what to ask for and what was needed. Now I can set goals and search for things at the stores that I KNOW we need.
(Check out the NEEDS BLOG to find out what we need.)


I also had the privilege of passing out socks and underwear to all of the children today. They were so excited over something as simple as underwear and socks. And they werent picky....they gladly took what ever we handed them. And one of the mothers thanked me multiple times!! We made sure to give extra pairs to the kids who needed it the most. There was plenty to go around! I want to thank all those who made this possible! You really are making a difference. God bless you for the blessings you shared with others.



I feel like Im taking lots of little baby steps and these teachers and kids need giant leaps to get them to where I think they can be. Im hoping that baby steps will start to add up AND that when the new school year starts in January we can reorganize and implement some great new things. My goal is to prepare the teachers with knowledge and 'tricks up their sleeves' between now and then so they will be ready to dive in head first with the start of the new year!
Stay tuned for another blog about my trip to the Rhino and Lion Park!!

No comments: