Saturday, September 29, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes

We had a VBS this week at the church. We had the kids rotate through stations. I got to teach the Bible Story Rotation!! Many of the stories focused on the affects of prayer. As part of one of the lessons, I taught the kids the Teaspoon (Tsp.) prayer. This is something I’ve learned since arriving in S.A. I thought it was a quick simple way to teach kids to pray and I was amazed at some of the things the kids prayed about. The point of teaching the Tsp. prayer is to make sure that kids focus on different things as they pray.

T=Thank You
S=Sorry
P=Please (I told the kids that they could ask God for ANYTHING, big or small.)

Here are some of the responses I got from the kids:

Thank You God:
For another day
For being alive
For making me ME
For bringing me to church
For my family and friends

I’m sorry God:
For fighting with my brother
For not listening to my mother
For biting my friends
For treating other people badly
For sinning


Please:
Help me fix my lap top mouse
Give me more friends
Keep me safe when I go home and when I go to play
May I have my mother and father alive while I am alive?
Forgive me my sins
Forgive me if I’m not praying, but you know that I trust in you
Help us to do nice things for you.
__________________ (Some children left this part blank....they chose not to ask for anything!)


The kids here sing a song that starts "Telephone to Jesus, Telephone to Jesus, Telephone to Jesus every day." I told the kids to talk to Jesus just as if they were on the telephone. They don’t have to sound fancy or use big words. Saying "Hi, God!" was a good way to start. They laughed a lot as I made fun of the fancy prayers you sometimes hear in church. I think they got the point that is doesn’t matter how you pray as long as you JUST DO IT!

No comments: