Monday, October 15, 2007

The Drakensberg Mountains

This past weekend I had the opportunity to get out of the city. A nice couple invited 5 volunteers in the Jo'burg area to go with them to their time share in the Drakensberg Mountains. I was amazed at the beauty that God creates. I have seen mountains in VA, Mexico, Germany and South Africa....and each set of mountains was unbelievably beautiful and unique. I cant begin to describe how gorgeous the mountains looked. Some of the mountains looked worn down with age. As if the outer coating had been worn off and the inner frame of the mountain was exposed. Other parts of the mountains looked like giants had laid down and been covered with a mossy green blanket. The dips and valleys seemed to be the nooks behind the giants’ elbows and knees. Everything was so calm and peaceful. No rushing cars or bright lights. No to-do lists or schedules. Just a lot of good conversation and gorgeous scenery.

We went on 2 hikes while we were in the mountains. On the second hike, we wound our way through the woods toward a grotto. The path we took was narrow and steep at points. And you could always hear the river below, but it remained elusive most of the hike.....until suddenly you'd come upon it and have to hop from rock to rock to get to the other side and continue the search for the waterfall at the end of the trail.

As we were hiking, I couldnt help but sing "Ive got peace like a river." My roommate commented that rivers are rarely peaceful looking. More often than not they are rushing and tumbling over rocks and down waterfalls. But I think that what peace is.....peace is knowing you are heading in the right direction, even when the pathway is rocky. Peace sweeps you through the rough spots of life and keeps you moving when you want to stay stuck and stagnant in the still waters.

I have experienced peace like no other as I follow God's will here in South Africa. Much like the river, there have been rocky spots. There have been moments when I felt like things were going to fast and I just wanted to slow down. There have been moments when I felt like I was falling through space like the water in the waterfall. But through it all, Ive known I am heading in the right direction. I know God has a great plan and I just need to go with the flow.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend some time in the mountains. I always feel a bit closer to God when I am surrounded by the beauty that he created.

No comments: