Monday, May 26, 2008

Helping a Little

A picture of me with the Jo'burg skyline in the back ground.
This was taken at the top of the hill after our hike with the youth. It was so peaceful and calm on top of the hill. In fact, the past few days there has been a decrease in attacks. Things seem to be calming down. But the affects of the attacks on foreigners will be felt for many weeks/years to come.

Currently, there are an estimated 15,000 people homeless in South Africa because of these attacks. These people have had their homes ransacked and destroyed. In some cases they fled their homes because of fear that they would be the next target. It is winter here in South Africa, so these people are living in the courtyards of police stations or in tent cities. I have no doubt that the longer they live in limbo with no homes and no space and no privacy these people will become tired, despondent and hopeless. Please pray for the many people who have no home to go to. Pray that the unusual winter rain will clear up and we will be graced with warmer, sunny days. Being homeless and tired is bad. Add cold and wet to the mix and I'm sure life looks bleak!

I can not imagine the trials these foreigners are facing. And I often feel a bit helpless. There is very little I can do as an individual to help. One way I'm able to help is by filling in at the Door of Hope. Many of the workers at Door of Hope are foreigners and need to get home before dark or safety reasons. Because the day shift is going home a couple of hours early, there is a little gap between the day shift and night shift. I have enjoyed a few days of filling in that gap. It has been fun playing with the babies. They are so precious. If this is a way I can help the workers at the Door of Hope get home earlier and feel safer, I'll take the blessing while I can. I know its not much help to all the homeless to play with babies for a couple of hours. But I'm loving the baby time, so I'm doubly blessed.
Pray that those who are displaced from their homes will find peace amidst the crowded, cold conditions. Pray that their basic needs are met: food, clothing, shelter, warmth. But also pray that in all the trials they are facing the needs of their heart and soul are met as well. Pray for them to find comfort, hope, love and joy. Considering that their lives, homes and safety have all been attacked, peace in their hearts and souls may seem impossible. But when we have great needs, we have a great God to meet our needs.

No comments: