Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day

Sunday was Mother's Day. The church had a special fellowship time after the service where we served tea and cakes. While the adults ate their cakes, we went straight to Sunday School and got busy. My Sunday School class is preparing for exams. Here in South Africa, the Sunday School Association has 2 exams a year. They give you a teacher's manual that focuses on a specific topic. There are 7 lessons that all connect together. The exam at the end of these lessons is pretty rigorous and tests knowledge of the stories as well as Bible verses. We are currently studying Joshua. We begin with the Israelites at the Jordan river, ready to cross over into the promised land. We will end with the Battle of Jericho. On Sunday, we got the Israelites across the Jordan River and then we took some time to make cards for our Mothers for Mother's Day.



The children in my Sunday School class all said "Happy Mother's Day" to me. They were shocked when I explained that I'm not a mother. I guess they assume that all adult women must be mothers. This is a universal belief of children. Adult=Parent

Here is a picture of my Sunday School Class on Mother's Day:






After church, some of the American volunteers were invited to lunch at the home of one of the deacons of the church. Janice and her son Joshua made Bunny Chow for us to eat. Bunny Chow apparently comes in many shapes and flavors. Our Bunny chow had hamburger, beans and cheese. It reminded me a little of a Sloppy Joe. The unique part of Bunny Chow is how you eat it. We took unsliced loaves of bread and cut them in half. Then you pull out the bread in the middle, leaving only the crust. You fill the middle with the Bunny Chow and cheese. And you enjoy! It is the same concept as using a bread bowl. By the end of lunch we were all VERY full. So we had to burn a few calories. We tossed around the Rugby ball and chased Thabo and Oyisa.




In the photo: Russell and Thabo, Joshua, Drew and Oyisa

After Bunny Chow and chasing kids, I was tired. So I had a nap on the couch followed by a call to my mother. It was a good day!

No comments: