Sunday, June 22, 2008

Durban

I am sitting in Durban in a lazy boy, listening to the Indian Ocean and enjoying warm weather. 7 of us decided to take a 3 day vacation to Durban. We drove down on Saturday morning. Other than a little rain and an uneventful hydroplane episode, we had clear skies the rest of the trip. Saturday afternoon we walked along the beach. We all got to step foot in the Indian Ocean (which was not as cold as I expected).

Sunday morning we woke up a little early and went on a boat ride out into the ocean. We saw an amazing pod of dolphins that kept up with our boat and played around a little for us. The dolphins were jumping right beside the boat. There was a mom and baby! And there was this one guy that had horrible scars all along his back. It was very exciting....until half way through the trip. Then I got horribly sea sick. I've never been motion/ sea sick in my life. I never expected it. And I certainly will complain about it forever. How many chances does a person get to see dolphins in the Indian Ocean? And I got sick!

Apparently sucking on a lollipop and keeping your eyes on the land helps reduce sea sickness. But that doesn't get you a good view of the dolphins. We had over an hour of watching this huge pod of dolphins and we got several REALLY good photos (which I'll share with you when I load them on my computer). Despite the great view, I was wishing our tour would be over quickly. Dry land has never been so desirable.

Durban has been beautiful. It has been wonderful to spend time with friends and see new sights. I hope to have some time to sit on the beach and read a book tomorrow before heading back to Jo'burg. I LOVE the beach. It is so calming and peaceful. I'm SO glad we got to take this trip.

No comments: