Sunday, June 29, 2008

Reflections

I will be leaving South Africa in 8 days. I am very excited about going home. I've heard from a few principals about potential jobs, I have a place to live and a car to borrow until I can buy my own. I'm looking forward to being near friends and family, being able to make a phone call without figuring out the time difference and having access to Dr Pepper. Its funny to me that other than people, the things I miss the most are food related. I could gain a lot of weight when I get home if I give in to all of my cravings. I suppose when I was living in the US I could indulge a little at a time, but since I've been in SA I have not been able to indulge in small pieces. I could be in real trouble when I get home if I give in to all of the cravings. hahaha

But as much as I'm looking forward to going home, I am really going to miss the people here. I often have a hard time seeing what I have done while I've been here. Some days I feel like I haven't accomplished much. But when I think about what God has done while I've been here, I feel like LOTS has happened. The teachers have the things they need to teach. The toys are not broken and dirty. The teachers have a different attitude towards punishment. The teachers plan ahead and include Bible stories every day. The teachers have learned to ask for what they need instead of living without necessities.

I've seen the kids grow, mature, learn colors and shapes. I've heard them praise God spontaneously, sing songs in Zulu about how great God is, and retell Bible stories with great detail.

I've been able to given out clothes, money and food to people in need. I've rejoiced in the the packages and gifts sent from the US that met our needs. I've been blessed to be the one to get to give out socks, shoes, underwear, clothes, toys and books all sent from people at home.

The curriculum I have been writing just needs a few more tweaks and it will be done. I'm excited to have a nice fat folder with 12 months worth of lesson ideas to prove to myself that I've actually been working while here in SA.

I've heard so many people say "You are so brave." Or "I could never do what you have done." I don't feel brave. And I could never do what I have done if I didn't know for sure God wanted me here this past year. I wish all of my choices in life were as clear as when I felt called to come to SA. It's been a year of many blessings and many heart aches. I wonder what the next week will bring....

No comments: