Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kitchen Sets and Wooden Blocks

As some of you may know, I have been wanting to buy some small wooden kitchen furniture for the children here at TLC. Thanks to my church, I finally got the kitchen set I've been wanting. I found the kitchen furniture online at a store in Jo'burg. I drove with Carol to the show room to look at them and make my purchase. Below you can see part of one set. I purchased 2 sets. The sets have a sink, stove and dressing table with mirror. Since there isn't enough space in 2 of the classrooms, one set is in the main hall and is shared by two of the classrooms (see the picture below).

Nomfundo is too busy cooking to put away the dishes!
While I was at this store, I also bought a big set of wooden blocks. The children LOVE them. I was amazed at the creativity they showed the first time they got them out to play. What a blessing to see children working together, planning, using their imagination and having fun.

One of the teachers commented that the man who made the blocks was lazy because he didn't paint them. I replied, "It's a good thing he didn't paint them or I wouldn't have bought them." Wow....I would never have thought about painting wooden blocks. I've seen and played with wooden blocks my whole life. I just assumed they all came natural and wood colored. Painting them seems like an odd concept. But this teacher has never played with wooden blocks. They didn't have any at home, church or school when she was growing up. I'm glad that through the generosity of my church, these kids will be exposed to one of the simple pleasures of childhood!

Siphesihle, Neo, Asenathi and Siyanda playing with blocks.


I also purchased a few CDs, books and puzzles while I was at the teacher store. The longer I was there the more things I picked up.

The teachers and the children were very excited about the new things I bought. And if these things last as long as I think they will, they will be enjoyed by many children in the future. Thanks for your support that made this possible! What a blessing you have been to the children here at TLC!


Next on my list....A sand box.

No comments: